Welcome, Guest. Please Login
NTCS Homework Board
  Should discrepancies arise between this website and what is told in class, the information given in class takes priority
  HomeHelpSearchLogin Teacher Calendar Activities Calendar  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Devotional thoughts, reflections, and connections (Read 533 times)
Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 3:18pm

Mr. Vant Erve   Offline
YaBB Teacher
TechCommittee

Maybe you noticed that the moon was incredible last night; a perfect half-moon in a crystal-clear sky.  I whipped out the entry-level telescope I bought for myself Isaac this past Christmas and took a few moments to forget about all of my responsibilities and just be in awe of God's masterful handiwork.  I was able to get my most powerful lens to focus on the bottom bit of the moon's surface and I saw some craters that I'd never seen before.  It was really cool.

It's one of my favourite school-related moments every time I'm able to line up all the baby grade 9s at Chandos and show them what is often their first glance of the moon through the school's telescope.  Many of you may remember doing this yourselves.  If you don't that's OK.  I'll only cry a little.  Cry

Every time I see that huge rock floating around the Earth, it reminds me of two things:
  1. My life is soooo small.  And the creator of the universe is soooo big.  Why should I bother trying to prop myself up as the star of my own measly little story when I could play a role (whatever size) in His (wonderfully huge) story?
  2. My life as a Christian is a lot like the moon's role in shining light into a dark world.  It is not the source, but it can used quite powerfully by the Sun to bring just enough light for people to be able to function in the dark.  Similarly, as I'm sure many of you have already grasped - but I'll spell it out anyway - the Son (who's also called the Light of the World) can use my life (which would be pretty useless on its own) to give hope to those in pretty grim situations - physically or spiritually.  I know there is at least one Ukhin out there who would remind us that the Moon also has some pretty important regulatory functions on the tilt and tides of the Earth, and I would applaud him for this.  It's important to realize that we can't depend completely on imperfect analogies to finite things for our understanding of infinite beings.

Next time the moon is shining in all of its gl -- umm, I mean reflecting all of the Sun's glory -- take some time to contemplate these things.  Just like it's cool to whip out a telescope or even just some binoculars to peer deeply into space, let's not neglect doing that with the depths of our own souls which we may not ever have taken the time to probe.  The first time one of my students does this makes my heart rejoice way more than showing them a big rock through a big tube!

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
                 Mr. D. Vant Erve

"I sing, for I cannot be silent;
      His love is the theme of my song"
                 -Fanny J. Crosby
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 8:10am

Mr. Vant Erve   Offline
YaBB Teacher
TechCommittee

Good morning!

Today, I'm just going to point you to Josh McDowell's daily Youth Devotion.  I think it's a good one - ties in really well to the "babies growing up" thoughts I shared a few days ago and continues our study of Hebrews.

Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see here, or if you have any thoughts you'd like to share either with me or the rest of the class.

Have a good day of home-learning!

Mr. D. Vant Erve

-Fanny J. Crosby
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 8:55am

Mr. Vant Erve   Offline
YaBB Teacher
TechCommittee

It's April Fools' Day.  Here are some of my favourite jokes for you to pass along (if you dare).  I'll write all the answers down a whole bunch of lines for the sake of hilarity.

1) What do you call a droid who always takes the long way?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
R2 Detour!
-
-
#2) What's a pirate's favourite letter?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
<Expected Reply> Is it Arrrrrr?
<Correction> Ye might think so, scuuurvy dog, but it be the C!  (you know, the SEA)
-
-
-
-
OK. Enough of that.  Just don't forget to laugh a little during this strange and difficult time.  I'm pretty sure God made us with the desire to see us laugh about stuff.  I think he likes to laugh too.

If you're having fun with pranks today, be smart and funny but not hurtful.  Aim to bring a smile to face of the prank-ee and to God's face too!

Fun Challenge:  How many different words can you make using the letters in APRIL FOOLS DAY?

Mr. D. Vant Erve

-Fanny J. Crosby
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:29am

Mr. Vant Erve   Offline
YaBB Teacher
TechCommittee

My sister-in law had a brand new baby this morning - 8lbs, 9 oz - and everything went very well.  The pictures reminded me of the first time I held my little guy - who's now wearing men's size 11 shoes!! - when he was born 11 years ago.  I really hope that's not a linear relationship -or at least that it's approaching a horizontal asymptote ASAP. 
(Heh heh - the Homework Board's cheap spell-checker doesn't recognize the word asymptote.)

It feels like it'll be tomorrow that he's in your shoes - graduating high school soon (we hope) and moving on to whatever your next destination will end up being.  It helps me remember to make the most of every opportunity just to hang out with him now.  I really try, regardless of what else is on my plate, to say "sure" any time he asks to try to beat me at a game of table tennis (he would tell you he's already beat me once) or Monopoly or Forbidden Island or whatever his little brain invents for us to do.  I've had to say "not right now" a couple of times this past week, and it's broken my "Father's heart".

Lucky for us, the limitations of our human fathers do not apply to our Heavenly Father.  Whenever you call out to him for help, or just to hang out - he won't ever be too busy, even though he certainly has a lot "on his plate".  Just reach out!

And if you have the opportunity, reach out today to your parents, thanking them for everything they've done for you.  I don't pretend to know what kind of relationship any of you have with your parents, but I think you'll find that if you take care of your side of the relationship (Exodus 20:12), it will be strengthened.  As much as you're able, keep you parents close - though you should be looking forward to some increased independence, there will definitely be times when you're going to need their support!

Talk to you tomorrow morning!

Mr. D. Vant Erve

-Fanny J. Crosby
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 9:20am

Mr. Vant Erve   Offline
YaBB Teacher
TechCommittee

I've read this aloud to the class before but I thought it would be fitting at this time:

A Liturgy for Those Flooded by Too Much Information

And if any member of your family or someone else you know well is a Medical Provider, this would probably be uplifting for them.

A Liturgy for Medical Providers

These are both freely available at the website for the book Every Moment Holy by Douglas McKelvey.

God bless you today as you resume your studies!

Mr. D. Vant Erve

-Fanny J. Crosby
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 9:19am

Mr. Vant Erve   Offline
YaBB Teacher
TechCommittee

Today, I'm just going to be collaborative and send you to check out Mr. Lau's awesome 7A homeroom devo on Chinese characters that can easily be interpreted as originating in the Biblical creation story.  I had absolutely no idea!

Feel free to thank him for sharing and let both of us know if you happen to know of any other surprising connections between the Bible and aspects of your own culture - whatever it is - which may not be thought of as particularly Christian.  I'd love to turn around and share it with the class.

God bless you all today!

Mr. D. Vant Erve

-Fanny J. Crosby
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 9:42am

Mr. Vant Erve   Offline
YaBB Teacher
TechCommittee

Today a little more from Andrew Peterson and Jesus.

Peterson is an author and singer/songwriter, who lives and works in Nashville, Tennessee - the centre of all things musical in the Western world.  He's had enormous success with both his music and his writing (my personal tastes may be different from yours, but check out his stuff if you want!)

But this is not advertisement for him.  I just want to share a few of his thoughts that I read this morning and give you some context for why he can be trusted.  Some of these are clearly music-focussed, but I think they apply across the board, whatever your gifts are:
"You don't need a record contract to serve God with your gifts."
"The best thing you can do is keep your nose to the grindstone, to remember that it takes a lot of work to hone your gift into something useful, and that you have to learn to enjoy the work -- especially the parts that you don't enjoy."
"So do you wait tables?  Sure . . . Do you work hard at your craft?  Definitely.  Do you move?  Quit your day job?  Marry the girl?  Borrow the start-up funds?  Sign the deal?  Here's what I know in a nutshell:  'Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you' (Matt. 6:33)."

To centre yourself in the inner chamber of God's heart that is reserved just for you (see yesterday's post), and see the care that he provides while you hunker down there, I'd encourage us all to read Matthew 6:25-34.  Here's a link to the passage from "The Message" version on BibleGateway.

Mr. D. Vant Erve

-Fanny J. Crosby
IP Logged

Mar 25th, 2020 at 10:34am

Mr. Vant Erve   Offline
YaBB Teacher
TechCommittee

You've probably figured out in the time that you've known me (even if it's been just this year) that I am not the "type A", regimented, driven, "Same Bat time, Same Bat channel", kind of guy.  There are some parts of my life that could be interpreted as rigorously scheduled -- I'm very devoted to following the daily actions of the Toronto Blue Jays and the Green Bay Packers; I could pack the same 4 or 5 things in my lunch every day; my car pulls really hard to the right every time it approaches the exit to my favourite Tim Horton's restaurant.  It's more probable, though, that these point more towards the label "creature of habit" than any more positive identifier.

So though there is no 1 minute and 20 seconds of driving guitar music that shoves us toward our home room every day to spend some time together and in God's Word, I'd like to attempt to "meet" with you regularly in this forum.  Some days might be just a quick link to a good daily devotion.  Others might consists of some personal reflections from me.  Maybe there will be a bit of both.  I'll probably miss a day or two here and there, but I'm sure you can forgive me if I do.  Let's shoot for that sweet spot between forced and free.

Today I was reading the introduction to a book called "Adorning the Dark" by one of my favourite human beings, Andrew Peterson.  It's about artful creativity in Christian community.  One tiny piece resonated with me, and I hope it resonates with you, too.  You may have heard a common, kinda gimmicky or at least a little bit over-used, evangelical Christian-ese phrase which claims that we all have a "God-shaped hole" in our hearts.  In John 14:2, just before his ascension, Jesus proclaims, "in my Father's house are many rooms".  Peterson takes Jesus' cue and flips the "God-shaped hole" idea upside down, wondering, "could it be that those rooms are inner chambers in the heart of God, each of which has an individual's name on it?". Instead of making me feel like I am incomplete, it's an intensely comforting thought that "he holds a special place in his heart for me and me alone".

If ever you are struggling with feeling like there's no place where you truly belong, please remember this: you belong in the heart of God, the creator, sustainer, and loving ruler of the universe!

Mr. D. Vant Erve

-Fanny J. Crosby
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print