Welcome, Guest. Please Login
NTCS Homework Board
  Should discrepancies arise between this website and what is told in class, the information given in class takes priority
  HomeHelpSearchLogin Teacher Calendar Activities Calendar  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
March 24-27 (Read 69 times)
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 11:57am

Mr. Brown   Offline
YaBB Teacher

If you are in the position where you left your score analysis assignment at school, please find the score attached.

Even if you had made significant progress on the analysis, I have no way of evaluating your work unless you either already submitted it to me, or send me your work electronically this week.

This may mean that some of you have to redo much of what you had already done. Unfortunately, that's what will need to happen in some cases. Complete as much as you can this week and I will accept it without penalty up to next Wednesday (April 1st).

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 11:24am

Mr. Brown   Offline
YaBB Teacher

If you have your instrument with you, but left your concert band music at the school, please find the sheet music for My Favourite Things, Baba Yetu, and Chameleon attached.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 9:50pm

Mr. Brown   Offline
YaBB Teacher

If you are in the position where you have fully completed the score analysis assignment, try out the attached exercises titled "Non-Chord Tones 1".

The instructions ask you to add a passing tone, neighbour tone, suspension, or retardation to the given chord progression.

If you need to remind yourself of the way these non-chord tones are approached and resolved, I have also attached the reference chart that was distributed and explained in class.

Non-Chord_Tones.pdf (97 KB | 21 )
IP Logged

Mar 24th, 2020 at 4:51pm

Mr. Brown   Offline
YaBB Teacher

Hello Grade 9, 10 & 11! I hope that everyone and their families are doing well!

This week, our music classes were scheduled on Tuesday (March 24), Thursday (March 26) and Friday (March 27).

(Before I go any further,  if you have not yet emailed me the good copy of your composition, here is one final reminder.)

Learning Goals:
-      We will learn the structure of chords in various inversions.
-      We will learn how non-chord tones are used in harmonic progressions.
Success Criteria:
-      Label the harmonic progression and non-chord tones in Moonlight Sonata (Grade 9).
-      Label the harmonic progression and non-chord tones in Rondo alla Turca (Grade 10).
-      Label the harmonic progression and non-chord tones in Haydn’s String Quartet – first 4 pages only (Grade 11).

First priority this week should be given to completing your score analysis assignments (analyzing the harmonies [I, ii, V, etc.] and the non-chord tones). This should be submitted to Mr. Brown via email (cbrown@ntcs.on.ca) on Friday, March 27 at the latest. Given the unprecedented March “Break” we have all experienced, I will make this extension acceptable without any penalty.

In this new format of instruction and assessment, I encourage each of you to continue practicing your instruments and the music we were working on in class. However, I realize that some of you may not have taken your instruments home or simply don’t have access to a drum set during this time (not to mention any names!). IF POSSIBLE, try your best to stay on top of practicing the most recent pieces I distributed to you (“Baba Yetu” & “My Favourite Things”). I certainly understand though that our current situation presents a number of challenges for performance-related assessment and feedback. I only ask that if you are able, to continue to practice and rehearse your assigned part. I still plan to have you fill out practice logs for April, and will allow those of you who do not have your band instruments at home to fill them out in an alternative way (for example, if you play another instrument that you have access to, like the piano, there could be the option of fulfilling this requirement with another instrument than what you have been playing in class).

I would appreciate each of you sending me a quick email to let me know if you have your instrument with you or not. If you do not have access to your instrument, please let me know if there is an alternative instrument that you would be able to access and practice. That will help me as I plan ahead. Thank you!

Please find the learning log attached for each of your grade levels. You should fill out March 26 & March 27 on the log for this week (if you are following the Day 1/2/3/4 schedule) and EMAIL IT TO ME ON FRIDAY. It should indicate that you have worked on completing the score analysis assignments, and practiced the most recent concert band repertoire if you have your instrument.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print